Stylish Things   +  Art

Insp Style
An interview with Simone Shubuck,
an artist based in New York whose work is infused with dreamy abstraction and vibrant bursts of color.
____________________________________

+ Background
I'm an artist living in NYC. For many years, I supported myself by working as a floral designer but now I just focus on my artwork and keeping up with my energetic son which are two really big jobs. I live in Chelsea and have a studio in Dumbo.

+ What inspires your work?
My experience working with flowers was never intended to be anything other than a fun and creative way to make money but the stuff I learned from the flowers (and business side) profoundly affected me. While I don't have my hands on the flowers in a daily way, their information, colors, and forms are an infinite source of inspiration I quite literally draw from daily. Botanical images as ideas, and also, music. Without music, I can't do a thing.

+ Favorite colors?
Kelly green has been on me for a while. I can't shake it. I try and it doesn't work. Salmon. Kelly green and salmon together are pretty great.

+ Could you describe a typical day?
Wake up at 6:45 am. Make coffee and pack my son's lunch, and help him get off if my husband takes him, or take him if it's my turn. Either way, I head to the studio afterwards and stay all day unless I leave in the afternoon to exercise 2-3 days a week. Home around 6 pm. We like to cook and stay home or go out about equally. If I'm out I will come home to check in and see my son for a few hours.

+ Favorite spots in New York I love the many community gardens in New York. Liz Christy is the original on Houston and Bowery. It has really hung on through so many changes.

I love Dashwood Books.
I always want to linger and hang with the crew at A Détacher. Everyone and everything is so infused with Mona's true, beautiful, and clear creative vision. I love that there is one of those stores and not a global chain or that it's one of many. It feels like a very unique and special experience to be there where they work and sell things, both ultra contemporary and very old school at the same time.
+ Favorite books and magazinesBon Apétit (of course!)
World of Interiors PorterThe Signature of all Things by Liz Gilbert.Also, her self help-y book, Big Magic.It helped me tremendously thinking about and navigating my own creative process. I know people make a big giant eye roll because of Eat, Pray, Love but she is really so damn good and really has a generous spirit to her readers which was the genesis of Big Magic.
+ What are your spring essentials?Apparently, a very warm coat and hat (lately, it's been like 30 degrees here!) but hopefully soon a trench and some new Gucci loafers I am dying to rock that were a gift from my husband.
+ Idea of a perfect, spring mealSpaghetti with ramps and breadcrumbs made by my husband.Sitting in our garden with some extremely cold rosé.
+ Favorite musicI'm a hip hop, jazz, and R & B fan, but I love everything. Right now, the Life Of Pablo is on repeat. I can't help it, I love Kanye. I've also been pulling out random CD's I still have around, and found a gem, Purple Night by Sun Ra. There is such an insanely good astral but still swingy and straight version of The Stars Fell on Alabama that makes me crazy with joy.
+ Dreaming of...
Summer! Sipping a Bellini in Italy this summer with my family and friends.

+ Favorite pieces in your wardrobe?I am really too lazy to make an outfit so I live for a one piece. I have great ones by A Détacher. I'm either in Birkenstocks or 5" Alaia platforms. I have loads of Jane Mayle's older pieces and newer bags. So excited she has recently relaunched. I bought myself a 1972 rose gold day date Rolex a couple of years ago with some art income I had been saving. My husband made fun of me and says a gold watch is for retirement but I doubt I will ever retire so I took it as an advance and a reminder to keep at it. (Top L) A current scene from Simone's studio in Dumbo, (Top R) A drawing by Simone
(Bottom) Simone's spring floral arrangement
Thank you, Simone!View Simone's work at http://simoneshubuck.com/