Stylish Things   +  Slacker Art

nyc hurricane preparedness as slacker art
Well,in case you haven't heard, there is a hurricane headed toward your cityif you live on the East Coast of the good olde US of A.I grew up in Hurricane Alley,so these are old hatfor me.But the rest of my fellow New Yorkers arefreaking out a bit.I decidedto document someof the DIY solutionsto the upcoming wind, waves, and water....Either they don't want any mail during the storm,or they are afraid of Irene sucking instead of blowing....I like the placement and colorof the tape at the West Village art gallery Maccarone.It was somebody's bright idea to turn every garbage can in the Cityover this morning, a good 24+hours before we were to get any strong winds....So....The bright idea quickly turned into this....Way into the color coordinationhere,right down to the terracotta pot.Ion Chair 69I loved this "piece" when I saw it at Art Basel Miami last year....Trash?Nope, it's urban sandbagging.The blue plastic bag crammed into the gap of the door is a nice touch.To the "Rusty Knot" Crew,Nice job, too bad the Mayor forced you to close,you would be making a MINT right now....Loving this "piece".These guys were not messing around.This "piece" has an Andy Warhol feel to me with the silver tape.I wanted to buy this but it was sold.The Meatpacking District at 6pmon a Saturday night.Abandoned just like the good old days...SoldThis is the most subtle job, I mean "piece" I saw,it will also be the most difficult to remove....Tourists were not sure what to do.The Apple Store had custom silver greysand bags.Would you expect anything else?GET OUT!The subtle greys and purples in this piece are just sublime.I put this on reserve.Look at this masterpiece!Wait, that's a window display.Sorry.This is my favorite.They tried.I can't remember what LES gallery represents this guy.....