Stylish Things   +  opinions

love / hate @ phillips london
Jacob Kassay"Untitled"2009LOVE
"Opinions are like assholes,everyone has one."My dad used to say that.Here are my opinions about the latest roundof art to hit the auction block,this time at Phillips de Puryin London.I have only included pieces that I LOVEorHATE.With my asshole below,I mean opinion....Cindy Sherman"Untitled Film Still #4"1977LOVEShe is a favorite of mine and this isa strong image from this series.Jean-Michel Basquiar"Self-Portrait"1985LOVENot the best, but I wouldn't kick itout of bed for eating crackers.My mom used to say that....Tony Cragg"The Fanatics"2006LOVEIf it's shiny and silver, I will probably like it.Cecily Brown"I Will Not Paint Anymore Boring Leaves (2)"2004HATESeriously. Why? It's big AND ugly.The only way to save this would be to paint it red.Alighiero Boetti"Per Provenienza: Composition"1989LOVEI'm a sucker for bright colors and hard work too.Beatriz Milhazes"O Conflito"2001HATEI don't care what's going on or what it is about,it is wasted on me.Someone else will wastenearly $300,000.00if it hammers near the high estimate.Seriously,sometimes I really don't get it.Ugo Rondinone"No. 547 ELFTERSEPTEMBERZWEITAUSENDUNDACHT"2008LOVEI seriously considered being an Astronomeror an Astronaut when I was 6, so you know why this speaks to me.Jack Pierson"Like Someone Alone"1994HATEIf I start to talk about why I hate Jack Pierson somuch, I will never finish this post.So I will keep it to 5 words:LUCKY SON OF A BITCH.Thomas Demand"Stairwell (Treppenhaus)"1995LOVEI know this comes as a big surprise to peoplethat follow this blog, but I kindadig this picture.Julian Opie"Shahnoza Dancing in Bra and Pants"2007HATEI'm so upset I couldn't find this in a GIF formatso we all could vomit while watching it....Pan Dehai"Troops"2005HATEI hate 99.99% of contemporary Chinese art.There, I said it.Jean Arp"Lingam"1956LOVEHans could take a turd out of his toiletand I would love it.Andy Warhol"Portrait of Frank Stella"1967LOVEThese weird, small, almost souvenirsize Warhols always appeal to me.Damien Hirst"The Hours Spin Skull"2009HATEJack Pierson x 100 on this one.I do like his early work though,very much.This "cashing in" bullshit sucks sooo hard though.Julian Opie"Steve Playing Guitar"2006HATEThis is THE WORST Julian OpieI have ever seen.At least it doesn't move.Jennifer Allora and Guillermo Calzadilla"Under Discussion"2004LOVEThere is nothing about this not to love.Laurie Simmons"Walking Hourglass"1989LOVEAn art school favorite, I never get tired of her work.Gordon Matta-Clark"Splitting"1974LOVEMy hero!Yves Klein"Petit Vénus Bleue"1956(?)HATEI LOVE LOVE LOVE,practically worship YK, but I have a hard time believing he would have ever signed off on thisugly piece of shit.Yuck!Philippe Pasqua"Isabelle"2003HATESpeaking of yuck,how does one make a beautiful nude pregnantwoman who appears to be having and orgasmlook ugly?You have Philippe do it!Edwin Wurm"Two Ways of Carrying a Bomb"2003LOVENot everyone's cup of tea,but I get drunk on the Wurm.Dana Schutz"Shoe"2002HATEwait....LOVE!I just realized after looking at this a bit that itis a "Chukka boot" crushing a pigeonin the street!How could a New Yorker not love that?
More here....